Fast Fruit Chutney
You can use this formula to turn just about any soft fruit you may have on hand into a complex, spicy chutney. Serve with meat and poultry and use to perk up sandwiches.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups diced soft fruit, such as peaches, nectarines, papayas or bananas
- 2 tablespoons minced serrano chiles, or jalapeño peppers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Toast coriander seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring or shaking the pan constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind to a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 3 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in vinegar. (Stand back, as caramel may sputter slightly.) Add fruit, serranos (or jalapeños), ginger, salt and the reserved ground coriander. Return saucepan to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender and the chutney has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation