Fast Fruit Chutney
You can use this formula to turn just about any soft fruit you may have on hand into a complex, spicy chutney. Serve with meat and poultry and use to perk up sandwiches.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups diced soft fruit, such as peaches, nectarines, papayas or bananas
- 2 tablespoons minced serrano chiles, or jalapeño peppers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Toast coriander seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring or shaking the pan constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind to a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 3 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in vinegar. (Stand back, as caramel may sputter slightly.) Add fruit, serranos (or jalapeños), ginger, salt and the reserved ground coriander. Return saucepan to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender and the chutney has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)