I used less farro and added green beans so it had more vegetable to it. The farro adds a great chewy nutty flavor.
Farrotto with Artichokes
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Here farro stands in for rice in a risotto-like dish, full of tomatoes, artichokes and fresh basil.
5 Reviews for Farrotto with Artichokes
I purchased farro because I wanted to try a new whole grain. I searched Eating Well for a recipe and found this one. Of course, since I did not plan ahead, I had no artichokes on hand. I considered what I did have, and determined that edemame would be good. Though the change would increase the calories, it would also improve the nutritional profile and make this a dish that could be eaten on the side or serve as a meatless entree. The flavor profile of this recipe are fantastic. It's actually easier than risotto made with Arborio. Give this a try. It's delicious!
This dish is amazing! A wonderful taste and texture. I added most of the cheese to the dish, rather than holding back 1/2 of it to put on top as a garnish. Very rich and satisfying.
I saw this recipe in the magazine and decided to give it a try because the photo looked so inviting! I'd never had Farrotto but found it at an Italian store in Kenosha. I picked basil and oregano from my garden and didn't add crushed red pepper, sage or rosemary. WOW this is my newest favorite dish!!! So tastey and satisfying. I'm putting it on my regular rotation for sure :> And also making it for dinner guests this week.
Becca, Kenosha, WI
This needed some punch so I added some goat cheese along with the grated cheese and more salt. I also added some roasted peppers. You could do this with barley as well, it has a similar texture to Farro.
Emily, New Haven, CT
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)