Farmers' Market Fried Rice
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This fried rice recipe features a fall mixture of sliced Brussels sprouts and parsnips, but feel free to use whatever is fresh and in season. This recipe works best in a wok— a skillet is too small for the volume of food and requires more oil to prevent sticking. Always use cold cooked rice, otherwise the fried rice will be gummy and sticky.
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 cup 1/4-inch diced, peeled and cored parsnips (see Tips)
- 4 medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups cold cooked brown rice (see Tips)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (if large)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl in 2 teaspoons oil, coating the bottom completely. Add beaten eggs and cook, tilting to cover the surface as thinly as possible to make an egg pancake. When the pancake is just set, 30 seconds to 1 minute, flip using a metal spatula and allow it to set for about 5 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Swirl 1 tablespoon oil into the wok, add garlic and shallots and stir-fry, using a metal spatula, until fragrant, 10 seconds. Add parsnips and Brussels sprouts, reduce the heat to medium-high and stir-fry until the vegetables are nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes. Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, add rice, tomatoes and soy sauce and stir-fry, breaking up the rice, until heated through, 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro, salt and pepper; add the egg pieces and toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- To prep parsnips, peel with a vegetable peeler, then quarter lengthwise and cut out the fibrous, woody core with a paring knife before dicing.
- To make 4 cups cooked brown rice, bring 4 cups water and 2 cups brown rice to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. To cool, spread the cooked rice out on a large baking sheet and let stand until room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
Per serving: 400 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 7 g fiber; 471 mg sodium; 541 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value), Magnesium (29% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)