This healthy burger recipe features a spicy fajita burger slathered with a spicy chipotle mayonnaise and topped with roasted Anaheim peppers and a delicious slaw. Serve it on an oblong bun.
- 1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, preferably New Mexican
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 French rolls, preferably whole-wheat, split and toasted
- 2 roasted Anaheim or poblano peppers, (see Tip)
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 thin slices red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place beef, 1/4 cup cilantro, onion, scallions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the rolls.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup cilantro, mayonnaise, lime juice and chipotle in a small bowl.
- Peel the roasted peppers, halve lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 6 minutes per side. Top with cheese and cook until it is melted, about 1 minute more.
- Assemble the burgers on toasted rolls with the chipotle mayonnaise, half a roasted pepper, cabbage, tomato and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chipotle mayonnaise (Step 3) for up to 5 days.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with the Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they'll keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer. You can also find them dried with other chiles or at melissas.com and ground in the spice section of many supermarkets.
- To oven-roast peppers:
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
- To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 434 calories; 20 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 662 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Zinc (47% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (26% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique