This healthy burger recipe features a spicy fajita burger slathered with a spicy chipotle mayonnaise and topped with roasted Anaheim peppers and a delicious slaw. Serve it on an oblong bun.
- 1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, preferably New Mexican
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 French rolls, preferably whole-wheat, split and toasted
- 2 roasted Anaheim or poblano peppers, (see Tip)
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 thin slices red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place beef, 1/4 cup cilantro, onion, scallions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the rolls.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup cilantro, mayonnaise, lime juice and chipotle in a small bowl.
- Peel the roasted peppers, halve lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 6 minutes per side. Top with cheese and cook until it is melted, about 1 minute more.
- Assemble the burgers on toasted rolls with the chipotle mayonnaise, half a roasted pepper, cabbage, tomato and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chipotle mayonnaise (Step 3) for up to 5 days.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with the Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they'll keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer. You can also find them dried with other chiles or at melissas.com and ground in the spice section of many supermarkets.
- To oven-roast peppers:
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
- To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 434 calories; 20 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 662 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Zinc (47% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (26% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique