Express Shrimp & Sausage Jambalaya
You don't have to sacrifice the traditional smoky punch of this Cajun favorite just because you're short on time. All you need is some purchased sausage and quick-cooking brown rice to create a rich, satisfying dinner on any weeknight. Have some sliced berries for dessert to cool off your palate!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, (see Ingredient note) or low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 8 ounces raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and pepper-onion mix; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Add rice, stir once, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and stir to incorporate. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Andouille sausage is a smoky, mildly spicy pork sausage commonly used in Cajun cooking. Look for it near other smoked sausages in large supermarkets or specialty food stores.
Per serving: 412 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 142 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Mardi Gras
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique