Express Shrimp & Sausage Jambalaya
You don't have to sacrifice the traditional smoky punch of this Cajun favorite just because you're short on time. All you need is some purchased sausage and quick-cooking brown rice to create a rich, satisfying dinner on any weeknight. Have some sliced berries for dessert to cool off your palate!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, (see Ingredient note) or low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 8 ounces raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and pepper-onion mix; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Add rice, stir once, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and stir to incorporate. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Andouille sausage is a smoky, mildly spicy pork sausage commonly used in Cajun cooking. Look for it near other smoked sausages in large supermarkets or specialty food stores.
Per serving: 412 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 142 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Mardi Gras
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique