Express Shrimp & Sausage Jambalaya
You don't have to sacrifice the traditional smoky punch of this Cajun favorite just because you're short on time. All you need is some purchased sausage and quick-cooking brown rice to create a rich, satisfying dinner on any weeknight. Have some sliced berries for dessert to cool off your palate!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, (see Ingredient note) or low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 8 ounces raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and pepper-onion mix; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Add rice, stir once, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and stir to incorporate. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Andouille sausage is a smoky, mildly spicy pork sausage commonly used in Cajun cooking. Look for it near other smoked sausages in large supermarkets or specialty food stores.
Per serving: 412 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 142 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mardi Gras