Ethiopian-Spiced Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This spicy chicken stew, generously seasoned with the Ethiopian spice mix berbere, is loaded with tomato and red lentils. Depending on brand, berbere spice blend can be rather spicy. For a less spicy stew, start with 3 tablespoons spice blend rather than 5.
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped red onions
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 5 tablespoons berbere spice blend (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Wash lentils in cold water in a medium bowl until the water runs clear; drain and spread in an even layer in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place chicken on top of the lentils.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add onions and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add berbere and cook, stirring, until very fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in wine, scraping the onion mixture from the bottom of the pan, then stir in tomatoes with their juice.
- Add the onion mixture to the slow cooker on top of the chicken, then pour in broth.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is falling-apart tender, 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Stir the stew to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Trim chicken, prep onions, garlic and ginger. Refrigerate separately. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- Tip: The secret to the irresistible flavor of this chicken stew is berbere spice blend (find it in well-stocked supermarkets or at teenytinyspice.com). This staple in Ethiopian cooking is a heady mix that usually includes garlic, fenugreek, allspice, red pepper, ginger, chiles, coriander, cinnamon and black pepper. If you can’t find it, use a mixture of 4 tablespoons garam masala, 1 tablespoon hot paprika, 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek and 1 teaspoon salt in this recipe.
Per serving: 406 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 89 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 672 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (28% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium & Vitamin C (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 2012