Ethiopian-Spiced Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This spicy chicken stew, generously seasoned with the Ethiopian spice mix berbere, is loaded with tomato and red lentils. Depending on brand, berbere spice blend can be rather spicy. For a less spicy stew, start with 3 tablespoons spice blend rather than 5.
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped red onions
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 5 tablespoons berbere spice blend (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Wash lentils in cold water in a medium bowl until the water runs clear; drain and spread in an even layer in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place chicken on top of the lentils.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add onions and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add berbere and cook, stirring, until very fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in wine, scraping the onion mixture from the bottom of the pan, then stir in tomatoes with their juice.
- Add the onion mixture to the slow cooker on top of the chicken, then pour in broth.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is falling-apart tender, 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Stir the stew to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Trim chicken, prep onions, garlic and ginger. Refrigerate separately. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- Tip: The secret to the irresistible flavor of this chicken stew is berbere spice blend (find it in well-stocked supermarkets or at teenytinyspice.com). This staple in Ethiopian cooking is a heady mix that usually includes garlic, fenugreek, allspice, red pepper, ginger, chiles, coriander, cinnamon and black pepper. If you can’t find it, use a mixture of 4 tablespoons garam masala, 1 tablespoon hot paprika, 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek and 1 teaspoon salt in this recipe.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 406 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 89 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 672 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (28% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium & Vitamin C (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 2012