Essential Turkey Broth
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Once you have stripped off any leftover turkey meat for sandwiches and casseroles, turn the carcass into a broth for soup, such as Turkey-Barley Soup.
- Carcass and wings from 1 roasted turkey
- 4 quarts coldwater
- 1 large onion, or 2 medium, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, washed (see Tip) and cut into chunks
- 1 medium tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Cut or break turkey carcass into 3 or 4 pieces. Place carcass pieces and wings in a stockpot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Skim froth. Add remaining ingredients, return to a simmer and skim again. Cook, uncovered, at a bare simmer, skimming occasionally, until broth is well flavored, about 3 hours.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove large pieces of carcass and wings from pot. Strain broth into a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Skim off any fat that solidifies on the surface.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Tip: To clean leeks: Trim off fuzzy root and dark green stems. With a sharp knife, cut several incisions in the leek's stem end to open it up like a fan. Soak in water for several minutes, then swish to dislodge dirt. Repeat until no grit remains.
Per serving: 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 590 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients except sodium (590 mg per cup).
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)