Essential Turkey Broth
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Once you have stripped off any leftover turkey meat for sandwiches and casseroles, turn the carcass into a broth for soup, such as Turkey-Barley Soup.
- Carcass and wings from 1 roasted turkey
- 4 quarts coldwater
- 1 large onion, or 2 medium, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, washed (see Tip) and cut into chunks
- 1 medium tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Cut or break turkey carcass into 3 or 4 pieces. Place carcass pieces and wings in a stockpot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Skim froth. Add remaining ingredients, return to a simmer and skim again. Cook, uncovered, at a bare simmer, skimming occasionally, until broth is well flavored, about 3 hours.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove large pieces of carcass and wings from pot. Strain broth into a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Skim off any fat that solidifies on the surface.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Tip: To clean leeks: Trim off fuzzy root and dark green stems. With a sharp knife, cut several incisions in the leek's stem end to open it up like a fan. Soak in water for several minutes, then swish to dislodge dirt. Repeat until no grit remains.
Per serving: 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 590 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients except sodium (590 mg per cup).
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)