Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Whole-wheat pastry flour contributes a pleasant nutty flavor to an all-purpose pie dough and ensures a tender result.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or white vinegar
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Add oil and stir with a fork to blend. Mix 1/4 cup water, egg yolk and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add enough of the egg yolk mixture, stirring with a fork, until the dough clumps together. (Add a little water if the dough seems too dry.) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per 8 servings: 166 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per 10 servings: 133 calories; 6 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 33 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 65 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium., Per 12 servings: 110 calories; 5 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 28 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 2 g pro
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)