Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Whole-wheat pastry flour contributes a pleasant nutty flavor to an all-purpose pie dough and ensures a tender result.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or white vinegar
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Add oil and stir with a fork to blend. Mix 1/4 cup water, egg yolk and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add enough of the egg yolk mixture, stirring with a fork, until the dough clumps together. (Add a little water if the dough seems too dry.) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per 8 servings: 166 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per 10 servings: 133 calories; 6 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 33 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 65 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium., Per 12 servings: 110 calories; 5 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 28 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 2 g pro
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)