Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Whole-wheat pastry flour contributes a pleasant nutty flavor to an all-purpose pie dough and ensures a tender result.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or white vinegar
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Add oil and stir with a fork to blend. Mix 1/4 cup water, egg yolk and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add enough of the egg yolk mixture, stirring with a fork, until the dough clumps together. (Add a little water if the dough seems too dry.) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per 8 servings: 166 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per 10 servings: 133 calories; 6 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 33 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 65 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium., Per 12 servings: 110 calories; 5 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 28 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 2 g pro
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)