Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Whole-wheat pastry flour contributes a pleasant nutty flavor to an all-purpose pie dough and ensures a tender result.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or white vinegar
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Add oil and stir with a fork to blend. Mix 1/4 cup water, egg yolk and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add enough of the egg yolk mixture, stirring with a fork, until the dough clumps together. (Add a little water if the dough seems too dry.) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per 8 servings: 166 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per 10 servings: 133 calories; 6 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 33 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 65 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium., Per 12 servings: 110 calories; 5 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 28 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 2 g pro
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)