Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Whole-wheat pastry flour contributes a pleasant nutty flavor to an all-purpose pie dough and ensures a tender result.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or white vinegar
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Add oil and stir with a fork to blend. Mix 1/4 cup water, egg yolk and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add enough of the egg yolk mixture, stirring with a fork, until the dough clumps together. (Add a little water if the dough seems too dry.) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per 8 servings: 166 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per 10 servings: 133 calories; 6 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 33 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 65 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium., Per 12 servings: 110 calories; 5 g fat 3 g sat, 1 g mono; 28 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 2 g pro
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)