Espresso Creme Anglaise
From EatingWell: Fall 2003
Creme anglaise is a luxurious French custard sauce that is thickened with lightly cooked egg yolks. This sauce requires vigilance, but the result is well worth the effort. With a kick from instant espresso powder and crushed chocolate-covered espresso beans, this version goes well with chocolate desserts. If you perfume the custard with vanilla extract instead of coffee, you’ll have a lightened version of a classic creme anglaise—a delightful sauce for poached pears or just about any fruit.
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, or instant coffee
- 1/4 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Set a strainer over a medium bowl and have it ready by the stove. Heat milk in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring often to prevent scorching, until steaming and hot but not bubbling. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the eggs. Pour the mixture back into the pan and place it over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight motion, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, 4 to 6 minutes. The temperature should reach 160°F on an instant-read thermometer (do not let the custard boil). Working quickly, strain the custard into the clean bowl. Whisk in instant espresso (or coffee). Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Place espresso beans in a sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or saucepan. Stir into the chilled sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 36 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Tbsp.=1/3 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Fall 2003