Espresso Creme Anglaise
From EatingWell: Fall 2003
Creme anglaise is a luxurious French custard sauce that is thickened with lightly cooked egg yolks. This sauce requires vigilance, but the result is well worth the effort. With a kick from instant espresso powder and crushed chocolate-covered espresso beans, this version goes well with chocolate desserts. If you perfume the custard with vanilla extract instead of coffee, you’ll have a lightened version of a classic creme anglaise—a delightful sauce for poached pears or just about any fruit.
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, or instant coffee
- 1/4 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Set a strainer over a medium bowl and have it ready by the stove. Heat milk in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring often to prevent scorching, until steaming and hot but not bubbling. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the eggs. Pour the mixture back into the pan and place it over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight motion, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, 4 to 6 minutes. The temperature should reach 160°F on an instant-read thermometer (do not let the custard boil). Working quickly, strain the custard into the clean bowl. Whisk in instant espresso (or coffee). Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Place espresso beans in a sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or saucepan. Stir into the chilled sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 36 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Tbsp.=1/3 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Fall 2003