Espresso Creme Anglaise
From EatingWell: Fall 2003
Creme anglaise is a luxurious French custard sauce that is thickened with lightly cooked egg yolks. This sauce requires vigilance, but the result is well worth the effort. With a kick from instant espresso powder and crushed chocolate-covered espresso beans, this version goes well with chocolate desserts. If you perfume the custard with vanilla extract instead of coffee, you’ll have a lightened version of a classic creme anglaise—a delightful sauce for poached pears or just about any fruit.
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, or instant coffee
- 1/4 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Set a strainer over a medium bowl and have it ready by the stove. Heat milk in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring often to prevent scorching, until steaming and hot but not bubbling. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the eggs. Pour the mixture back into the pan and place it over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight motion, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, 4 to 6 minutes. The temperature should reach 160°F on an instant-read thermometer (do not let the custard boil). Working quickly, strain the custard into the clean bowl. Whisk in instant espresso (or coffee). Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Place espresso beans in a sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or saucepan. Stir into the chilled sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 36 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Tbsp.=1/3 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Fall 2003