Escarole & White Bean Soup
Don't be afraid of escarole, which looks like slightly frilly romaine lettuce, because it cooks down into a sweet and tender green. If you can't find it, substitute a 10-ounce bag of spinach. Make It a Meal: Warm crusty bread and a green salad make an excellent accompaniment.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, or 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh basil and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 head escarole, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded hard Italian cheese, such as Parmesan, Romano or Asiago
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, tomatoes, celery, carrot, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to soften and the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in beans and escarole and cook, stirring often, until the escarole is just tender, about 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 281 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 12 g fiber; 759 mg sodium; 908 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique