Escarole & White Bean Soup
Don't be afraid of escarole, which looks like slightly frilly romaine lettuce, because it cooks down into a sweet and tender green. If you can't find it, substitute a 10-ounce bag of spinach. Make It a Meal: Warm crusty bread and a green salad make an excellent accompaniment.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, or 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh basil and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 head escarole, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded hard Italian cheese, such as Parmesan, Romano or Asiago
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, tomatoes, celery, carrot, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to soften and the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in beans and escarole and cook, stirring often, until the escarole is just tender, about 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 281 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 12 g fiber; 759 mg sodium; 908 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)