Escarole & White Bean Soup
Don't be afraid of escarole, which looks like slightly frilly romaine lettuce, because it cooks down into a sweet and tender green. If you can't find it, substitute a 10-ounce bag of spinach. Make It a Meal: Warm crusty bread and a green salad make an excellent accompaniment.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, or 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh basil and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 head escarole, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded hard Italian cheese, such as Parmesan, Romano or Asiago
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, tomatoes, celery, carrot, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to soften and the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in beans and escarole and cook, stirring often, until the escarole is just tender, about 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 281 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 12 g fiber; 759 mg sodium; 908 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique