Escarole & White Bean Soup
Don't be afraid of escarole, which looks like slightly frilly romaine lettuce, because it cooks down into a sweet and tender green. If you can't find it, substitute a 10-ounce bag of spinach. Make It a Meal: Warm crusty bread and a green salad make an excellent accompaniment.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, or 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh basil and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 head escarole, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded hard Italian cheese, such as Parmesan, Romano or Asiago
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, tomatoes, celery, carrot, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to soften and the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in beans and escarole and cook, stirring often, until the escarole is just tender, about 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 281 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 12 g fiber; 759 mg sodium; 908 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique