Escarole & Rice Soup with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Escarole adds an assertive bite to an Italian-themed soup that would otherwise be just another chicken and rice soup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 head escarole, thinly sliced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup arborio, or other short-grain rice
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add escarole and 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 6 cups broth and bring to a simmer. Add rice and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add chicken and tomatoes and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese.
Per serving: 173 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 492 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (39% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 1993