Escarole & Rice Soup with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Escarole adds an assertive bite to an Italian-themed soup that would otherwise be just another chicken and rice soup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 head escarole, thinly sliced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup arborio, or other short-grain rice
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add escarole and 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 6 cups broth and bring to a simmer. Add rice and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add chicken and tomatoes and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese.
Per serving: 173 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 492 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (39% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993