Escarole & Rice Soup with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Escarole adds an assertive bite to an Italian-themed soup that would otherwise be just another chicken and rice soup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 head escarole, thinly sliced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup arborio, or other short-grain rice
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add escarole and 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 6 cups broth and bring to a simmer. Add rice and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add chicken and tomatoes and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese.
Per serving: 173 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 492 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (39% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1993