Escarole & Rice Soup with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Escarole adds an assertive bite to an Italian-themed soup that would otherwise be just another chicken and rice soup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 head escarole, thinly sliced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup arborio, or other short-grain rice
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add escarole and 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 6 cups broth and bring to a simmer. Add rice and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add chicken and tomatoes and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese.
Per serving: 173 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 492 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (39% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993