Escarole & Rice Soup with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Escarole adds an assertive bite to an Italian-themed soup that would otherwise be just another chicken and rice soup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 head escarole, thinly sliced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup arborio, or other short-grain rice
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Asiago, or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add escarole and 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 6 cups broth and bring to a simmer. Add rice and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add chicken and tomatoes and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese.
Per serving: 173 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 492 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (39% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 1993