From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Fresh fruit and angel food cake lighten this classic. A light custard, made with meringue and fat-free milk, drops the calories by half. Store-bought angel food cake works fine here.
- 1 small angel food cake, (10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/3 cup medium-dry sherry
- 4 cups fresh fruit, (sliced oranges; halved seedless grapes; hulled, halved strawberries; raspberries; sliced peeled kiwis)
- 4 cups Light Custard, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Additional fresh fruit, for garnish
- Cut cake into 2-inch-thick slices and cut slices into 1-by-4-inch strips. Spread preserves over one side of each strip. Arrange half the cake, jam-side up, in the bottom of a 12-cup serving bowl. Sprinkle with half the sherry. Arrange half the fruit over the cake layer and spoon half the custard over the fruit. Repeat with remaining cake, sherry, fruit and custard. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, sprinkle almonds over the top and arrange fresh fruit decoratively in the center.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 135 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1990