From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Fresh fruit and angel food cake lighten this classic. A light custard, made with meringue and fat-free milk, drops the calories by half. Store-bought angel food cake works fine here.
- 1 small angel food cake, (10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/3 cup medium-dry sherry
- 4 cups fresh fruit, (sliced oranges; halved seedless grapes; hulled, halved strawberries; raspberries; sliced peeled kiwis)
- 4 cups Light Custard, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Additional fresh fruit, for garnish
- Cut cake into 2-inch-thick slices and cut slices into 1-by-4-inch strips. Spread preserves over one side of each strip. Arrange half the cake, jam-side up, in the bottom of a 12-cup serving bowl. Sprinkle with half the sherry. Arrange half the fruit over the cake layer and spoon half the custard over the fruit. Repeat with remaining cake, sherry, fruit and custard. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, sprinkle almonds over the top and arrange fresh fruit decoratively in the center.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 135 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1990