From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Fresh fruit and angel food cake lighten this classic. A light custard, made with meringue and fat-free milk, drops the calories by half. Store-bought angel food cake works fine here.
- 1 small angel food cake, (10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/3 cup medium-dry sherry
- 4 cups fresh fruit, (sliced oranges; halved seedless grapes; hulled, halved strawberries; raspberries; sliced peeled kiwis)
- 4 cups Light Custard, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Additional fresh fruit, for garnish
- Cut cake into 2-inch-thick slices and cut slices into 1-by-4-inch strips. Spread preserves over one side of each strip. Arrange half the cake, jam-side up, in the bottom of a 12-cup serving bowl. Sprinkle with half the sherry. Arrange half the fruit over the cake layer and spoon half the custard over the fruit. Repeat with remaining cake, sherry, fruit and custard. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, sprinkle almonds over the top and arrange fresh fruit decoratively in the center.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 135 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1990