From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Fresh fruit and angel food cake lighten this classic. A light custard, made with meringue and fat-free milk, drops the calories by half. Store-bought angel food cake works fine here.
- 1 small angel food cake, (10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/3 cup medium-dry sherry
- 4 cups fresh fruit, (sliced oranges; halved seedless grapes; hulled, halved strawberries; raspberries; sliced peeled kiwis)
- 4 cups Light Custard, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Additional fresh fruit, for garnish
- Cut cake into 2-inch-thick slices and cut slices into 1-by-4-inch strips. Spread preserves over one side of each strip. Arrange half the cake, jam-side up, in the bottom of a 12-cup serving bowl. Sprinkle with half the sherry. Arrange half the fruit over the cake layer and spoon half the custard over the fruit. Repeat with remaining cake, sherry, fruit and custard. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, sprinkle almonds over the top and arrange fresh fruit decoratively in the center.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 135 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1990