From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Fresh fruit and angel food cake lighten this classic. A light custard, made with meringue and fat-free milk, drops the calories by half. Store-bought angel food cake works fine here.
- 1 small angel food cake, (10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/3 cup medium-dry sherry
- 4 cups fresh fruit, (sliced oranges; halved seedless grapes; hulled, halved strawberries; raspberries; sliced peeled kiwis)
- 4 cups Light Custard, (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Additional fresh fruit, for garnish
- Cut cake into 2-inch-thick slices and cut slices into 1-by-4-inch strips. Spread preserves over one side of each strip. Arrange half the cake, jam-side up, in the bottom of a 12-cup serving bowl. Sprinkle with half the sherry. Arrange half the fruit over the cake layer and spoon half the custard over the fruit. Repeat with remaining cake, sherry, fruit and custard. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, sprinkle almonds over the top and arrange fresh fruit decoratively in the center.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 135 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1990