Endive & Watercress Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Pomegranate juice is a flavorful stand-in for some of the oil in the dressing. To squeeze pomegranate juice, press the seeds through a sieve placed over a bowl. Bottled pomegranate juice can be found in natural-foods stores.
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ounce ounce walnut, or pecan halves
- 4 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, leaves separated and broken into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems removed, leaves washed and dried
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds or raspberries
- Whisk or shake pomegranate juice, oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together in a small bowl or a jar.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts or pecans on a pie plate and toast for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and chop coarsely.
- Combine endives, watercress and red onions in a salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds or raspberries and the toasted nuts over top and serve.
Per serving: 113 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 8 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 893 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (117% daily value), Folate (93% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992