Endive & Watercress Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Pomegranate juice is a flavorful stand-in for some of the oil in the dressing. To squeeze pomegranate juice, press the seeds through a sieve placed over a bowl. Bottled pomegranate juice can be found in natural-foods stores.
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ounce ounce walnut, or pecan halves
- 4 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, leaves separated and broken into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems removed, leaves washed and dried
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds or raspberries
- Whisk or shake pomegranate juice, oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together in a small bowl or a jar.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts or pecans on a pie plate and toast for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and chop coarsely.
- Combine endives, watercress and red onions in a salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds or raspberries and the toasted nuts over top and serve.
Per serving: 113 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 8 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 893 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (117% daily value), Folate (93% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 1992