Endive & Watercress Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Pomegranate juice is a flavorful stand-in for some of the oil in the dressing. To squeeze pomegranate juice, press the seeds through a sieve placed over a bowl. Bottled pomegranate juice can be found in natural-foods stores.
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ounce ounce walnut, or pecan halves
- 4 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, leaves separated and broken into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems removed, leaves washed and dried
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds or raspberries
- Whisk or shake pomegranate juice, oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together in a small bowl or a jar.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts or pecans on a pie plate and toast for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and chop coarsely.
- Combine endives, watercress and red onions in a salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds or raspberries and the toasted nuts over top and serve.
Per serving: 113 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 8 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 893 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (117% daily value), Folate (93% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992