Endive & Watercress Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Pomegranate juice is a flavorful stand-in for some of the oil in the dressing. To squeeze pomegranate juice, press the seeds through a sieve placed over a bowl. Bottled pomegranate juice can be found in natural-foods stores.
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ounce ounce walnut, or pecan halves
- 4 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, leaves separated and broken into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems removed, leaves washed and dried
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds or raspberries
- Whisk or shake pomegranate juice, oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together in a small bowl or a jar.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts or pecans on a pie plate and toast for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and chop coarsely.
- Combine endives, watercress and red onions in a salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds or raspberries and the toasted nuts over top and serve.
Per serving: 113 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 8 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 893 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (117% daily value), Folate (93% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992