Endive & Pomegranate Salad
From EatingWell: Fall 2003
Please your guests with the contrasting textures and flavors of crunchy Belgian endives, juicy oranges and tart, ruby-red pomegranate seeds. The addition of cooked shrimp makes this an elegant first course.
- 6 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large navel oranges
- 2 Belgian endives
- 1 cup watercress
- 1 avocado
- 12 medium cooked shrimp, (about 8 ounces), optional
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds, (1 large fruit; see Tip)
- To prepare dressing: Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- To prepare salad: Peel oranges with a paring knife, removing the white pith. Quarter and slice the oranges. Wipe endives with a damp cloth (do not soak"they tend to absorb water); cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Wash and dry watercress. Peel and pit avocado; cut into thin slices lengthwise.
- To assemble salads: Alternate avocado slices and orange sections in a fan shape on each of 4 salad plates. Top with endive, watercress and shrimp, if using. Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient note: Look for pomegranate juice with other bottled juices or in the produce section of well-stocked supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
- Tip: To avoid the enduring stains of pomegranate juice, work under water! Fill a large bowl with water. Hold the pomegranate in the water and slice off the crown. Lightly score the fruit into quarters, from crown to stem end. Keeping the fruit under water, break it apart, gently separating the plump arils from the outer skin and white pith. The seeds will drop to the bottom of the bowl and the pith will float to the surface. Discard the pith. Pour the seeds into a colander. Rinse and pat dry. The seeds can be frozen in an airtight container or sealable bag for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 292 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 11 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 13 g fiber; 244 mg sodium; 1336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & C (120% daily value), Folate (108% dv), Potassium (38% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Magnesium & Zinc (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 fat (without shrimp)
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Fall 2003
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)