Elderflower Sparklers (Hyldeblomst Cocktails)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
The elder tree's white blossoms first appear in spring in Denmark, so these refreshing cocktails make an elegant homage to the season. The delicate, lightly floral flavors are perfect with Champagne or a dry, light white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc. Have all the ingredients ice-cold before serving.
- 8 tablespoons elderflower concentrate, or syrup (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 cups brut or extra-dry Champagne
- 2 cups seltzer
- Edible flowers, or mint sprigs for garnish
- Place 1 tablespoon elderflower concentrate (or syrup) in each of 8 Champagne glasses; add 1/4 cup Champagne to each glass, then top off with 1/4 cup seltzer. Garnish with flowers (or mint), if desired. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Elderflower concentrate or syrup, made from the blossom of the elder tree, has a delicate, lightly floral aroma and mild honey flavor. Popular as a drink ingredient throughout northern Europe, it's thought to help fight fevers and colds. Look for it in specialty shops that feature northern European foods (such as Ikea) or at lepicerie.com. Apricot nectar can be used as a substitute.
Per serving: 54 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 18 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 alcohol equivalent
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 2008