Hilary’s Heavenly Eggs for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
This unusual combination of eggs braised in tomato sauce served on crusty bread is out of this world. Also try it over angel hair pasta. Serve with: Steamed broccolini.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 ounce pancetta, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pancetta (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add marinara and adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk. Make a well in the sauce roughly large enough to hold the egg and slip it in so that the yolk and most of the white is contained (some white may spread out). Repeat with the remaining egg, spacing the eggs around the pan. Sprinkle the sauce with basil; cover and cook until the eggs are the desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-set. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper.
- To serve, top each slice of toasted bread with an egg and sauce. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 348 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 215 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 768 mg sodium; 532 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Iron (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2010