Hilary’s Heavenly Eggs for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
This unusual combination of eggs braised in tomato sauce served on crusty bread is out of this world. Also try it over angel hair pasta. Serve with: Steamed broccolini.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 ounce pancetta, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pancetta (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add marinara and adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk. Make a well in the sauce roughly large enough to hold the egg and slip it in so that the yolk and most of the white is contained (some white may spread out). Repeat with the remaining egg, spacing the eggs around the pan. Sprinkle the sauce with basil; cover and cook until the eggs are the desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-set. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper.
- To serve, top each slice of toasted bread with an egg and sauce. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 348 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 215 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 768 mg sodium; 532 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Iron (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2010