Hilary’s Heavenly Eggs for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
This unusual combination of eggs braised in tomato sauce served on crusty bread is out of this world. Also try it over angel hair pasta. Serve with: Steamed broccolini.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 ounce pancetta, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pancetta (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add marinara and adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk. Make a well in the sauce roughly large enough to hold the egg and slip it in so that the yolk and most of the white is contained (some white may spread out). Repeat with the remaining egg, spacing the eggs around the pan. Sprinkle the sauce with basil; cover and cook until the eggs are the desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-set. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper.
- To serve, top each slice of toasted bread with an egg and sauce. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 348 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 215 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 768 mg sodium; 532 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Iron (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2010