Hilary’s Heavenly Eggs
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
This unusual combination of eggs braised in tomato sauce served on crusty bread is out of this world. Also try it over angel hair pasta. Serve with: Steamed broccolini.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 ounce pancetta, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 4 large eggs
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pancetta (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add marinara and adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk. Make a well in the sauce roughly large enough to hold the egg and slip it in so that the yolk and most of the white is contained (some white may spread out). Repeat with the remaining eggs, evenly spacing them around the pan. Sprinkle the sauce with basil; cover and cook until the eggs are the desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-set. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper.
- To serve, top each slice of toasted bread with an egg and sauce. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 345 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 215 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 767 mg sodium; 529 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2010