From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This simple combination of coarsely mashed eggplant and shallots makes a quick vegetarian side dish or main dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 dried red chile, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate, or juice of 1 large lime
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seed
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots, (about 3 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add coriander seeds and chile; toast until the coriander turns reddish brown and the chile is slightly blackened, about 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon, transfer spices to a plate to cool. Grind in spice grinder or mortar and pestle until the mixture is the texture of coarsely ground black pepper.
- Dissolve tamarind concentrate (or lime juice) in water. Reheat the oil over medium-high heat; add mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, cover the pan. As soon as the popping stops, add eggplant and shallots; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the tamarind (or lime juice) mixture, salt and the ground spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the eggplant is fork-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Coarsely mash the stew with a potato masher. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Per serving: 69 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 200 mg sodium; 297 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Winter 2004