From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This simple combination of coarsely mashed eggplant and shallots makes a quick vegetarian side dish or main dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 dried red chile, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate, or juice of 1 large lime
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seed
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots, (about 3 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add coriander seeds and chile; toast until the coriander turns reddish brown and the chile is slightly blackened, about 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon, transfer spices to a plate to cool. Grind in spice grinder or mortar and pestle until the mixture is the texture of coarsely ground black pepper.
- Dissolve tamarind concentrate (or lime juice) in water. Reheat the oil over medium-high heat; add mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, cover the pan. As soon as the popping stops, add eggplant and shallots; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the tamarind (or lime juice) mixture, salt and the ground spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the eggplant is fork-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Coarsely mash the stew with a potato masher. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Per serving: 69 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 200 mg sodium; 297 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Winter 2004