This meatless entrée has an ample amount of protein from the couscous and feta cheese. Whole-wheat couscous has a nutty flavor and, like regular couscous, requires no actual cooking, just five minutes to plump in hot water. You can find it in health-food stores, but if it is not available, substitute regular couscous.
- 2 eggplants, (1 pound each), ends trimmed
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 9 ripe plum tomatoes, (1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Standing eggplants on end, remove a thin slice of skin from two opposite sides and discard. Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of the slices with 2 teaspoons oil and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheets. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place them, cut-side down, in the remaining space on the baking sheets.
- Bake the vegetables for 10 minutes. Turn eggplant slices over and bake until the eggplant is lightly browned and tender and the tomato skins are blistered, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous, thyme, salt and 1 teaspoon oil. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand until the water is absorbed, 5 minutes. Uncover and let cool for 15 minutes. Stir in the feta, mint and pepper with a fork.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Put some of the couscous mixture in the center of each eggplant slice. Roll up the eggplant slices firmly around the filling and place, seam-side down, in the prepared dish. Cover with foil; bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the skin away from the roasted tomatoes and put them in a small saucepan. Mash with a fork and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, salt and pepper. Heat gently over low heat. To serve, spoon the tomato sauce over the eggplant rolls and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons feta cheese.
Per serving: 304 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 68 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 18 g fiber; 673 mg sodium; 1002 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (44% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Vitamin A (30% dv), Fiber (22% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 4 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)