Eggplant & Chickpea Baked Pasta
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Turn leftover Eggplant & Chickpea Stew into a comforting vegetarian baked-pasta dish. We love the taste of mint with the other Mediterranean flavors, but you can use parsley or basil if you prefer.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli
- 1/2 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups Eggplant & Chickpea Stew (recipe follows)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar 2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Combine breadcrumbs and oil in a small bowl. Toss the pasta with stew, feta, 1/4 cup mint (or basil) and lemon juice in a large bowl. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake until the topping is golden and crispy, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mint (or basil).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Assemble the casserole in the baking dish (through Step 3). Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Finish with Step 4.
- Note: To make your own breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
Per serving: 496 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 71 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 13 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 612 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (33% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Calcium (28% dv), Vitamin C (26% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Zinc (22% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2011