From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Forget the deep-fried, oily eggplant Parmesan that you usually get with take-out. This version celebrates the eggplant with plenty of rich flavor, but without all the fat and calories of the old standby.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 12 1/4-inch-thick slices eggplant, (about 1/2 medium eggplant)
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 8-ounce can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat an 8-inch-square glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg in a shallow dish. Place breadcrumbs in another shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices in the egg and then dredge in the breadcrumbs to coat thoroughly; transfer to a plate.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the eggplant slices and cook until browned on the first side, about 2 minutes. Turn the slices, add 1 teaspoon oil and reduce heat to medium; cook until browned on the second side, about 2 minutes. Transfer the cooked eggplant to the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining oil and eggplant; transfer the cooked slices back to the plate.
- Wipe out the pan; add tomato sauce and salt, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in basil. Pour half the sauce over the eggplant in the baking dish. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Layer on the remaining eggplant. Top with the remaining sauce.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake until bubbling, about 10 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and continue baking until the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 373 calories; 20 g fat (4 g sat, 12 g mono); 110 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 554 mg sodium; 728 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value), Calcium & Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 medium-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two