Eggnog Ice Cream
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
The spicy, eggy flavors of eggnog have been a part of American Christmas traditions for at least two centuries.
- 1 tablespoon brandy, or rum
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a small bowl, combine brandy or rum and vanilla; sprinkle in gelatin and set aside to soften.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat 1 1/2 cups of the milk over medium heat until steaming. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the condensed milk/egg yolk mixture, whisking until blended. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the custard coats the back of the spoon lightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook or boil, or the custard will curdle.
- Strain the custard into a clean bowl. Add the softened gelatin mixture and whisk until it has melted. Whisk in nutmeg and the remaining 1 1/2 cups cold milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze for up to 4 days. If the ice cream becomes very hard in the freezer, soften it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before scooping.
Per serving: 231 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 192 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1996