Eggnog Ice Cream
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
The spicy, eggy flavors of eggnog have been a part of American Christmas traditions for at least two centuries.
- 1 tablespoon brandy, or rum
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a small bowl, combine brandy or rum and vanilla; sprinkle in gelatin and set aside to soften.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat 1 1/2 cups of the milk over medium heat until steaming. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the condensed milk/egg yolk mixture, whisking until blended. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the custard coats the back of the spoon lightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook or boil, or the custard will curdle.
- Strain the custard into a clean bowl. Add the softened gelatin mixture and whisk until it has melted. Whisk in nutmeg and the remaining 1 1/2 cups cold milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze for up to 4 days. If the ice cream becomes very hard in the freezer, soften it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before scooping.
Per serving: 231 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 192 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- November/December 1996