Eggnog Ice Cream
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
The spicy, eggy flavors of eggnog have been a part of American Christmas traditions for at least two centuries.
- 1 tablespoon brandy, or rum
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a small bowl, combine brandy or rum and vanilla; sprinkle in gelatin and set aside to soften.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat 1 1/2 cups of the milk over medium heat until steaming. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the condensed milk/egg yolk mixture, whisking until blended. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the custard coats the back of the spoon lightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook or boil, or the custard will curdle.
- Strain the custard into a clean bowl. Add the softened gelatin mixture and whisk until it has melted. Whisk in nutmeg and the remaining 1 1/2 cups cold milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze for up to 4 days. If the ice cream becomes very hard in the freezer, soften it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before scooping.
Per serving: 231 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 192 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- November/December 1996