From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Not kid stuff: A sophisticated and safe low-fat version of classic eggnog.
- 6 cups 1% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, (see Tip)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brandy, bourbon or rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light whipping cream
- Bring milk and nutmeg to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Whisking constantly, gradually add hot milk; return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook the eggnog over very low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature must reach 160°F; do not let eggnog come to a simmer.) Remove from the heat and pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl.
- Whisk in brandy (or bourbon or rum) and vanilla. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the eggnog and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, add cream to eggnog. Ladle into cups and serve garnished with more grated nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The eggnog will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Use a nutmeg grater or the tiniest holes of a box grater to grate whole nutmeg.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 127 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Traditional Eggnog: 300 calories, 20 grams fat (11 grams saturated) - EW Eggnog: 142 calories, 4 grams fat (2 grams saturated)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- November/December 1998