From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Not kid stuff: A sophisticated and safe low-fat version of classic eggnog.
- 6 cups 1% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, (see Tip)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brandy, bourbon or rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light whipping cream
- Bring milk and nutmeg to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Whisking constantly, gradually add hot milk; return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook the eggnog over very low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature must reach 160°F; do not let eggnog come to a simmer.) Remove from the heat and pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl.
- Whisk in brandy (or bourbon or rum) and vanilla. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the eggnog and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, add cream to eggnog. Ladle into cups and serve garnished with more grated nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The eggnog will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Use a nutmeg grater or the tiniest holes of a box grater to grate whole nutmeg.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 127 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Traditional Eggnog: 300 calories, 20 grams fat (11 grams saturated) - EW Eggnog: 142 calories, 4 grams fat (2 grams saturated)
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1998