From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Not kid stuff: A sophisticated and safe low-fat version of classic eggnog.
- 6 cups 1% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, (see Tip)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brandy, bourbon or rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light whipping cream
- Bring milk and nutmeg to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Whisking constantly, gradually add hot milk; return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook the eggnog over very low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature must reach 160°F; do not let eggnog come to a simmer.) Remove from the heat and pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl.
- Whisk in brandy (or bourbon or rum) and vanilla. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the eggnog and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, add cream to eggnog. Ladle into cups and serve garnished with more grated nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The eggnog will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Use a nutmeg grater or the tiniest holes of a box grater to grate whole nutmeg.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 127 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Traditional Eggnog: 300 calories, 20 grams fat (11 grams saturated) - EW Eggnog: 142 calories, 4 grams fat (2 grams saturated)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1998