Egg Thread Soup with Asparagus
Stirring eggs into simmering broth is a classic technique for adding nourishment and body to soup. Asparagus gives it a mild, sweet flavor and a bit of texture. Serve this quick soup with Parmesan Crisps or sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
- 8 cups homemade chicken broth, fat skimmed, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pastina, or other tiny pasta, such as alphabet or stars
- 12 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch diagonal pieces (2 cups)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Stir in pasta. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until pasta is just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in asparagus; cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
- Break eggs into a large measuring cup and whisk until well blended. Add to the gently boiling soup in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly with a fork. (Slow stirring will produce large threads; rapid stirring will break the threads up into small pieces.) Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste, adding salt if desired.
Per serving: 116 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 110 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 138 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)