Egg & Sausage Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 1998
A dozen for brunch? No problem with our delicious makeover of a classic egg casserole. Assemble the casserole the evening before you plan to serve it.
- 5 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, (4 small links), casings removed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 slices white bread, crusts removed
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, crumbling with a fork, until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add oil, onion and bell pepper to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in 1/3 cup Cheddar.
- Arrange bread in a single layer in prepared baking dish. Pour egg mixture over bread and top with reserved vegetables and sausage. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Cheddar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, until set and puffed, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Per serving: 144 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber; 344 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- November/December 1998