Egg & Sausage Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 1998
A dozen for brunch? No problem with our delicious makeover of a classic egg casserole. Assemble the casserole the evening before you plan to serve it.
- 5 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, (4 small links), casings removed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 slices white bread, crusts removed
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, crumbling with a fork, until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add oil, onion and bell pepper to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in 1/3 cup Cheddar.
- Arrange bread in a single layer in prepared baking dish. Pour egg mixture over bread and top with reserved vegetables and sausage. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Cheddar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, until set and puffed, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Per serving: 144 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber; 344 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- November/December 1998