Egg Salad Sandwiches with Watercress
Watercress, a cruciferous vegetable, adds a zesty note—and welcome phytonutrients—to this enlightened version of an American classic.
- 8 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup washed and stemmed watercress
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- Scoop out egg yolks. Place 2 yolks in a small bowl and reserve the rest for another use. Chop egg whites and reserve. Mash the yolks with a fork and stir in sour cream (or yogurt), mayonnaise and mustard. Add chopped egg whites and scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange watercress on 4 bread slices. Top with the egg salad and cover with the remaining bread slices.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 289 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 373 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 601 mg sodium; 289 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), .Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation